Saturday, October 31, 2009

Kinokuniya: The story of a great bookshop











There is a great book store in Kuala Lumpur City Center (KLCC). This bookshop is located on level four. When I had an opportunity to get there, I always spend an hour or two to riffle book collection displayed within the bookshop. This bookshop was Kinokuniya.

Among matters of interest in this book store is there is an extensive book exhibition space. This store has two levels. There are a variety of books displayed according to various topics and subjects desired by customers.

In one corner of the shop upstair, they have provided a food store to facilitate the customers eat and drink. Although the price of food and beverages offered relatively high, however it is quite match with the store environment that is very special.

As a reader who is interested in history books , I found out that the exhibition space for history books are very large as big as a classroom.

Kinokuniya Book Store. It is vast bookstore with a massive collection of novels, magazine and other books. They even have magazines and comics in japanese language. You can find all sorts of reading material of different interest here.

When I was exploring inside, the idea of ‘time is not enough’ came floating into my head, there’s too much to read inside.

If I am alone, i want to spent hours in this bookstore. Unfortunately my presence there was accompanied by my wife and my children, so I cannot be there long. In my heart, I said ..."if only this bookshop be in alor setar or in Kangar, how good it is"

Reading....

“It consoles me in my retreat; it relieves me of the weight of distressing idleness and, at any time, can rid me of boring company. It blunts the stabs of pain whenever pain is not too overpowering and extreme. To distract me from morose thoughts, I simply need to have recourse to books.” The Complete Essays III.3.932, Michel de Montaigne

Other blogger opinions about Kinokuniya book store in KLCC

Eyeris' 2006 Book Lists: The Eyeris Bookstore Awards

After some thought, I decided that instead of having awards for specific BOOKS (which, since I've not read that many, will only consist of the same books over and over again, much like my movie and music lists...), I shall have lists for book-RELATED topics instead.So, I shall now kick off with...

The Rather-Biased Eyeris Bookstore Awards 2006

Best Major Bookstore:Kinokuniya, KLCC - For being so convenient for me to get to, the atmosphere, the good selection of graphic novels, and the good fantasy section. Oh, and all those 20% discounts!

Best Secondhand Bookstore:Payless Books, Ampang Point - It's a BIG store, and I love wandering around here. You never know what you're gonna get!

Best Customer Loyalty Scheme:Times Bookstore: For just ten bucks a year, you can get 10% discounts of books, and 5% of magazines! (MPH card is pointless lar. Collect points for what? I don't buy THAT many books!)

Most Annoying Display:MPH 1 Utama - The PERMANENT display of Dang Brown paperbacks and illustrated books just behind the 'New Arrivals' shelf near the entrance. For god's sake, get rid of it already. It's been there since last year!

Best Reading Atmosphere:MPH 1 Utama: It's relatively quiet, and I love the benches around the pillar at the fantasy section.

Most Up-To-Date Books:Kinokuniya, KLCC - For consistently being the first bookstore in KL to stock the books I want. I've bought more new books there on whims than from anywhere else.

Most Clueless Staff:MPH: For asking this question - "Who Is Terry Pratchett?"Sneeziest Environment:The Secondhand Bookstore on level 3 of Amcorp Mall: Everytime I go in there I start sneezing. For gods sake, DUST the shelves a bit lar!

Most Annoying Feature:
Kinokuniya, KLCC: For wrapping up their books. Though if that's what it takes to stop people tearing out pages and defiling the books, then I don't really mind, to tell the truth...

Most Improved Bookstore:Borders, Berjaya Times Square - I still don't like going to that termite warren of a shopping complex, but at least Borders had the sense to get rid of the stupid World of Feng Shui section and replace it with a pretty decent graphic novel section instead.

Most Disappointing Development:Kinokuniya, KLCC: They started charging RM1 for wrapping books. WAAA!

Best for Local Books:MPH: They very the support local authors one. Good good!

Best Graphic Novel Section:Kinokuniya, KLCC: No fight, thanks to that entire WALL of graphic novels, and the up-to-date shelves of new arrivals. MPH's graphic novel displays tend to be damn messy and filled with nothing but Star Wars titles; Borders Times Square's selection is so-so only (The Curve's is downright pathetic).

Best Magazine Section:The Two budget Magazine stores in Amcorp Mall: For selling imported magazines like Empire and Q for only RM9.90-12.90 (back issues lar, of course)

Labels: , , Posted by eyeris at 1:12 PM
Poke My Eye! => (9) pokes in the Eye. GAA!
postCountTB('4281306553035134348');
(0) trackbacks as usual. Sigh...


nuffnang_bid = "2e0dd9c5722c95581c509557db0554b9";
Monday, December 18, 2006

http://eyeris.blogspot.com/2006_12_01_archive.html


I was at my favourite bookstore, Kinokuniya yesterday and found many good books that interest me.

So I bought a total of 24 books, 3 for my client.

Why I like Kinokuniya so much:

1. The range of books available is the best among all the major bookstores in KL ( compare to MPH in MidValley, Borders at Times Square, Time Bookstore in Pavillion KL, even Borders in Singapore )
2. 20% on many newly released book titles or bestsellers! That's the main reason I can afford to buy so many books at one time! Another money saving tip for you.

3. Sometimes, they have joint promotion with credit cards company. I remember they had a promo a few years ago where Citibank credit card members get discounts on the books they bought at Kinokuniya.The fact is that I was never a fan of Kinokuniya when the store was in Lot 10, Kuala Lumpur, because they were selling mainly Japanese books and the price of English was also high. I got a pleasant surprise when I waled into the present Suria KLCC Shopping Mall a few years ago. From then onward, it has been my favourite..
Don't take my word for it.

Check it out at Suria KLCC when you are in KL.

IT is very easy to find, just take the lift to Level 4 and it is opposite Petrosains's Gallery. You can't miss the big blue Kinokuniya signboard.I enjoyed my book shopping... I am going to take my " sabbatical leave " to catch up on my reading soon :>

Do come back to my Blog soon as I will post more on the books that I read and recommend.. ( only on non-fiction / knowledge books as i don't read novels )


K I N O K U N I Y A KUALA LUMPUR CITY CENTER

















No comments:

Post a Comment

tulislah apa saja yang bermakna buat semua yang membaca...